Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pioneer Days

I love when the 24th of July celebration rolls around every year. It seems to come more often than once a year though, kind of like Christmas. :) We had a good time this year, as we always do even though it is a busy, busy weekend. I just wish I would have gotten a few more pictures. Even though I'm big on tradition and like to hit all of the events of the weekend this was the first year I didn't go to the Flake Rodeo. Brig wasn't interested in running in the races so I didn't jump out of bed to get ready very early (which seems to be happening a lot these days, hee hee). By the time were ready to go to the Flake rodeo my family had already been and gone so we skipped it! I was okay with not going because it was so hot and there is no shade at the Snowflake rodeo grounds anymore, bummer. We just went straight to the luncheon at the Big House and sat around and visited with the family in the shade. Kanton insists on wearing his boots even with his shorts. I gave up trying to talk him out of wearing them together so he looks like this quite often, and he's not the only one ~ Griffin thought this was a pretty cool thing to wear too.
Mia and Layton are my youngest niece & nephew on the Mills' side. They had a good time playing in the grass. Aren't they cute?

Friday night was the Snowflake rodeo and Brig & Ray entered the ribbon roping. The calf came out and turned back before Ray got a good shot at roping it so they had a pretty long time but Brig sure ran fast anyway. He was pretty upset that he didn't win. I tried to tell him that winning isn't everything and he just needed to have fun, I don't think it sunk in very far. The pictures are a little blurry...

Ray & Tandy ribbon roped in the slack and had a long time too. Ray & Vern roped in the rodeo that evening and didn't have any luck, darn it. I guess you can't win every year!
Kanton had a good time watching the rodeo from the stands sitting by Grandma, Papa and the cousins. We kept him stuffed full of shaved ice, popcorn and all kinds of sugary goodies. He spotted Ray in the arena a few times throughout the night and was dying to go sit on the horse with him...but he will just have to wait a few more years for that.

We went to the parade Saturday morning and the kids had a great time. We sat at the beginning of the parade this year which was a first. We usually sit at the end with all of my side of the family. This year we tried finding Ray's family to sit with and couldn't so we just parked ourselves where we were when the parade started. This is the only picture I got before my batteries died in my camera, I was bummed. Kanton had his hands full of candy and wouldn't let anyone hold it for him and wouldn't put it in his pockets either. He kept trying to pick up more candy with one finger and it wasn't working. He was thrilled with all of the "suckas" he got though. Brig filled the diaper bag up with candy until it couldn't hold any more. I told him he wouldn't even have to go trick-or-treating this year.....he didn't go for it.


Saturday afternoon I went to the Blossom Fashion Show and had a good time watching all of my hot sisters-in-law, cousins, aunt and friends strutting their stuff in their cute outfits. Then Saturday night we hit the rodeo again. I thought it was really going to rain hard but it drizzled a few times here and there so we didn't get too wet. Brig got to go hang out with Ray in the arena for awhile, he thought he was pretty important. We had a good time, the fireworks were really good too. Kanton kept putting his hand in the air and saying "no fire"! He wasn't too impressed with them. I think they reminded him too much of the "funder" when it rains. After the rodeo Ray had three team roping partners. He caught all three but didn't have any luck getting a time down....he had a pretty tough weekend. But hey, there's always next time! He didn't get home until about 2:00 am by the time he put horses away and hauled cattle from the arena. Needless to say by Sunday we all had the rodeo "hangover". Can't wait til it comes around again next year!

2 comments:

Emily said...

That sounded like a really fun weekend. You kind of make me homesick! I can't believe you have a son old enough to be out there with Ray. How cool. Are you feeling okay???

Melis said...

I like the phrase "rodeo hangover" Seems fitting. But dang it's fun! Thanks for telling me about the fashion show, it really was fun.