Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pinewood Derby

Brig got to go to his first Pinewood Derby a couple of weeks ago. Ray helped him make a bullwagon. They spent hours on it and Brig was thrilled with it when it was finished. He kept telling me he hoped his car would be the FASTEST or the BEST LOOKING or.....BOTH. Well one can only hope for that but I kept trying to bring him back down to earth and tell him that whatever happened he just needed to go have fun and be a good sport however it turned out.

Before the races

The bullwagon

First race against cousin Quint

Brig had never been to a pinewood derby before and didn't know what to expect. He didn't ask many questions before hand so he thought each car only got to race once. He raced his cousin Quint first and Quint's car won. Brig thought it was all over for him so when I told him he was going to get to race every car he was so excited. Well the poor kid lost every race. I knew he was broken-hearted and I was broken-hearted for him. He held back the tears and was such a good sport though. I felt so bad for him!

The funny thing was that Julie Merrell was in charge of the races and she had made a pink car to race at the derby and it had lost every race too. So the very last race of the night was Brig against the pink car. Well Brig's car won the race and he was jumping up and down and had the biggest smile on his face.

Julie was so funny and told him to bring his car back to switch tracks to see if her car could beat his this time. His bullwagon won again and you would have thought he won the whole thing! Ray looked at me and said "oh my gosh....he just did the worm with his arms." Ray was dying and I could not stop laughing. It was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. I laughed until I had tears running down my face so when Brig came back to me he said "mom, why are you crying?" I told him I was just so happy for him. I still couldn't stop laughing.

It really ended on a good note having him beat the pink car....twice. He had forgotten about all of the other races by then. To top it all off his car won best in show and he got a 1st place trophy!

After beating the pink car

Getting his trophy

One happy boy

That night as he was getting ready for bed I told him how proud I was that he was such a good sport. He was still thinking about how awesome it was that he beat the pink car. He said "that pink car can't touch my speed!" Oh boy...I got the giggles again.

Brig will get to go to the district Pinewood Derby to show his car in April.

He is excited to say the least.


6 comments:

Reeds said...

Oh my gosh-I'm totally laughing! I was so sad for him when I read that his wasn't winning-but then-oh the excitement! That is so awesome that he had such a cool looking derby car!

Traci Butler said...

Hahaha - now is he racing at the district pinewood derby or just showing it? You may have to bring the pink car along if he is racing so there is something that "can't touch his speed!" I laughed so hard the first time mom told me this story, and even harder reading it.

Brig's going to crack up when he reads this later in life! Silly boy. And Yay for first place in show!!

melinda said...

I'm so glad the pink car couldn't touch his speed! That was a cute story! And, that is one seriously awesome bull wagon!

Tammy said...

That story rates right up there with "you've got lipstick on your teeth." I am still sorry I wasn't there to witness the whole thing!

Barb said...

Oh he is so cute!! That's awesome that he goes to district for show - that is a great bull wagon! Tons of detail and lots of hard work!

Melis said...

I felt so bad for him all night. The funniest part was when Julie told him they were going to race again, the look on his face was like, "uh, I just won. Lets leave it a that". When he won the second time it was just AWESOME! His reaction WAS priceless!!! I loved the Bullwagon and am so glad he got that trophy!